Monday, February 23, 2009

This is a true story

I was upstairs putting away laundry when I heard a scream and then the sounds of crying. I went downstairs where I found Ella crying and Luke standing beside her. I asked what happened. Ella sobbed that Luke had stabbed her with a pencil. I then turned to Luke who was holding a pencil and said "Is this true?" He said it was true because he had wanted to play on the computer and Ella wasn't giving him a turn.

Angry. Very angry.

I gave him a pretty severe tongue lashing (read into this that I was yelling about how his watching Tom and Jerry cartoons have turned him into a complete savage and that he will never be allowed to watch them as long as he lives under my roof, etc, etc.). Then there were tears and a fun little activity we call "time out." He stood in the corner for time out for probably 15 minutes (the usual rule of thumb is one minute for every year old they are but this was a pretty severe violation). There was a lot of weight shifting back and forth on each of his feet because they had started to (presumably) hurt from standing on our wood floors in his bare feet. After his time was paid, he came out of the corner and started crying. I asked him what was wrong. He started crying really hard and asked if Ella would still be his friend.

I told him I didn't know because that was up to Ella. Feeeeel the tough love, baby.

He went up to Ella and said "Ella are you still going to be my friend" and then cried really hard again. She answered "Yes, Luke, I will always be your friend even when you stab me in the back with a pencil. Even if you stab me again."

We won't have to worry about a re-stabbing, will we, Luke?

2 comments:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Oh ~ the joys of motherhood, Annie!! And more to come, I'm sure!!!
Auntie Alice

Tori :) said...

i'm proud of him that he was honest about it, even though he was pretty sure the repercussions wouldn't be pleasant.

most kids i know would lie and say they didn't do it.