Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Marie Chronicles

She's still willing to pose with Marie despite her less than desired look.

Poor Marie--her hair used to have such volume...kinda like a Troll Doll...
Up close of poor Marie


The other night, Ella threw up a little in her bed. I don't think she had the flu or anything but she was coughing quite a bit and threw up from coughing. So I stripped her bed and everything that was in the bed went in the washer, too. I put it on the long cycle in the washer because I wanted to make sure it was extra clean and then threw it all in the dryer. I didn't think much of the fact that there were a couple stuffed animals in the mix. I took all the bedding out of the dryer and put it in a basket. I took the basket in the living room. I saw Marie sitting on top and tossed her to Ella while continuing to fold the sheets, etc.

Folding...folding...folding..."MARIE. WHAT HAPPENED TO MARIE?!?! MARIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!"

Me: "Huh? What's wrong with Marie, Sweetie?"

Ella: "Her hair! Her hair! Look at it!!"

Me: "Huh. Looks like it shrunk a little in the dryer." Crap. Looks like it shrunk A LOT in the dryer. I'm in a heap of trouble.

Ella: "I used to stroke her hair up into a little tiny point and now I caaaaan't. Her hair looks like GRAMMIE'S!!" (Grammie has a short, permed 'do that she's been sporting (and I've been trying to get her to get rid of) since the early 80's.). Insert lots of crying here.

I tried to joke around about it to lighten the mood so I played the melodrama card.

Me to Marie: "Oh POOOR Marie! I am soooo sorry, Marie! Your beautiful hair! Oh Marie what will you dooooooo?"

Ella (laughing) to me: "Don't be silly. You're just being goofy now."

Me to Ella: "I really am sorry about Marie."

Ella to me: "It's ok."

Ella exits the room and I sigh in a moment of relief....until she returns one minute later.

Ella to me: "Mommy, I really....am.....upset....about MARIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" Insert hysterical crying and many hugs here.

I feel about this big now.

I went to work and made all my coworkers listen to the story so they could give their advice because I didn't know what to do. There were many schools of thought. Here they are in no particular order:
1.) Tell her you're sorry and that's the end of it.
2.) Buy her a replacement Marie because if you had ruined something of your friends, you would replace whatever you ruined for your friend.
3.) Explain to Ella that Marie is still the same Marie on the inside even though she is now ugly on the outside. We love Marie for what's on the inside.
4.) Buy her a bigger, better Marie and beg for forgiveness.
5.) Fix old Marie with new hair/fur.
6.) Have the Easter Bunny bring a new one.
7.) Tell her you're sorry with no replacement because really it's just a small part of Marie that doesn't look good. She remains intact (minus the puff of her previously loved fur).
8.) Ask Ella what would make her feel better. A new Marie or the same existing Marie or a new toy to sub for the now unattractive Marie.

What did I decide to do? Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

You're quite a story teller!!! I think letting Ella know about the pretty on the inside despite the outside is a wonderful lesson!! Of course, I had no girls and boys don't care much about that kind of thing ~ so what do I know??!!!
Auntie Alice