Thursday, August 27, 2009

Am I just being an over-indulgent parent or is this ok to do?

(So I put a new poll off to the side--check it out and vote.)

E's 6th birthday is coming up in November. She's sooooo into fancy cakes that she sees on TV (you know, like the ones that Courtney Clark makes at Cake Nouveau--see also previous post). There's a bakery in Cleveland that makes awesome cakes like that and I'm thinking about going to Cleveland to the White Flower Cake Shoppe to buy a mini-cake for her. This bakery is owned by another one of the Food Network competitors. Aron thinks I'm nuts (surprise) and my Mom says "heck yea! Buy her that cake!"


Do I get her the fancy cake that she'll just die for or do I make a cake like I always do and she'll be none the wiser that she could've had a fancy cake?


I'm torn!

4 comments:

Con said...

I say go for the cake! Play the "what if" game...what if the cake place closes down in the next year? What if you can't afford a cake from there next year? You would regret not getting it for her this year. I don't see it as over indulging your children - I see it as just loving them. It's not like she's demanding the cake. You want to do it b/c you love her and want to create a nice memory for her. I'm with your Mom - heck yea!!

Tori :) said...

get my girl that cake!!!!!

Grammie said...

Amen, Ladies!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely, get your daughter the cake. She will only be little for such a short time. That awe will fade away with time and it will be a lot harder to make her face light up. Take the time now, take the trip to get it with her, and make a memory for the rest of her life. She seems more than worth that.