Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Runnin' with the big dogs


Potty training....it ain't easy...anyone who tells you otherwise is crazy....crazy I tell you...
Lately, we've been trying to talk up the whole potty training thing with Luke. We keep telling him that when he goes in the potty all the time, he can wear big boy underpants like Daddy and Myles. He's been doing ok with it so far but he's not too into it most days. He'll usually go potty when we put him on it and tells us if he has to go after he's already went in his diaper but that's the extent of it. Ella has been the dispenser of the M n M reward (typically, he wants a green one but I'm not really sure why) and the clapper of the hands when he's finished on the potty. She keeps telling him that when he's a big boy, he can wear her panties. I try to explain to her that there are some things that we don't share--like toothbrushes and panties--but I don't think she really gets it. Whatever, I guess.
This morning, though, there was a revolution in our household. We got up and I changed Luke's diaper. After he was all clean, I tried to put a new diaper on him. He kept pushing at the diaper as I tried to put it on saying "No.....Daddy......MyMy.......pan-eeeeeeees" What? Daddy? MyMy? I don't get it. Then it dawned on me. I reached over and pulled out a pair of brand new Luke-sized boxer briefs (hey, none of those nasty tighty whities for my kid. He's got camo boxer briefs thank you very much). I put them in front of his little face and said "You wanna wear these like Daddy and MyMy?" He nearly catapulted himself off the changing table to try and pull them on. He wore them for about 2 1/2 hours this morning without accident. I took him potty every hour but he made it.
My little big fella.

No comments: