Monday, October 16, 2006

Ella's Sweet Ride

On Saturday, the whole fam went to Grammie and Poppy's house to watch the OSU game. After the game was over, Poppy got ready to go out to combine one of his fields of soybeans. He asked Ella if she wanted to come along for a ride--heck ya, she wanted to come!

The field Poppy went to was over at my Grandparents house so he drove over in his car and we followed after him as soon as Ella went potty, put her shoes on, got a snack, etc (this took about 15 minutes because she's very slow at getting ready). The whole drive over to my Grandparents Ella talked non-stop about how she was going to drive the tractor and about how she was a big girl and ready to ride on the combine. She was very excited until we got there and she remembered exactly how big the combine is. She was a little nervous about getting in but I told her I would ride along, too. We all climbed in--Poppy shared his seat with me and Ella sat on my lap. She was a little nervous at first but then I started explaining to her about how the combine works. She watched it cut the soybeans in the front while the rotating part of the head pushed the cut soybeans to the side. Then it goes to a part that we couldn't see where the soybeans are taken out of the plant. After that, it gets spit out behind the combine where it holds all the soybeans until you're ready to dump them out. She enjoyed watching the whole process after she got over her initial nervousness. I told her about how soybeans make soy burgers, soy milk, and baby formula. She thinks that they get made into marshmallows, too, but I told her they were mostly corn syrup and air. I don't think she really believed me but who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

I'm sorry to say I didn't get a picture of her steering the combine. Maybe next time.

No comments: