Monday, July 10, 2006

It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A

Ella's language development is really coming along. I'm currently trying to teach her how to spell her name. Of course, being me I can't just do that in a normal way. I'm teaching her how to spell it using the YMCA song. I tell her that her name is spell E-L-L-A, E-L-L-Aaaaaa. She's starting to pick it up but she keeps trying to spell it E-L-A-Hhhhhhh. I encourage her by telling her that although it is phonetically correct to try to spell it that way, that's not the way we spell it (can anyone say "child genius" or "Mensa"?). Nah, I'm kidding, I just try to get her to do it again. I think it's the double L that's getting her confused.

She has a little green pair of handcuffs that she likes to play with (she likes to handcuff her stuffed animals together--a future career in law enforcement?). The other day she was getting ready to cuff one of them and was holding up the one side of it. She pointed to the cuff and said "Look Mommy, there's a 3." Sure enough, I look over at the cuffs and they were indeed forming a 3. I decided to impress her and turn them around to form an E. I turned it around and told her "Look Ella an E." She looked at me like I was crazy. I guess she's not quite abstract enough to think of an E having curved sides. Maybe not Mensa material.

No comments: