Monday, April 29, 2013

Book review episode 6

It's that time again...here we go!
 
 
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe:  I decided to reread this classic.  I remember having it read to my class when I was in the 4th grade.  It is frequently referred to in religious settings and I wanted to give it another go around as an adult.  I enjoyed it.  I definitely felt more capable of interpreting the symbolism within the storyline.  My only issue comes with the proper order of this series.  I always thought this book was the first but there is some controversy about the chronological order vs. the publication order  of the books.  I enjoyed it enough to read the rest...I'll probably go with publication order.
 
The Alchemist:  I'm not really sure what I thought of this book which is (I think) a first for me.  It's a philosophical book about finding where your treasure lies, finding your way, and the legend you leave in the world.  It was originally written in Portuguese by a Brazilian man then translated to English.  Seems like most people I've talked to about the book either really love it or really don't love it.  I can't say I really know where I lie in those two choices, though.  The book would be an excellent selection for a lit class in college where it would garner some interesting discussion.  I would say it's recommended by me mostly because I thought about the book after I finished reading it which is more than I can say for the majority of Janet Evanovich's books.  Sorry, J (she likes it when I call her J).

The Glass Castle:  What is it like growing up with two mentally ill parents?  Read this book and you'll find out. Some things were surprising, some I could see coming but it was an interesting read.  I read that Jennifer Lawrence recently signed on to play the lead in a movie adaptation.  Strongly recommended.  The end.

The Book of Joe:  Big shot author makes it big by writing a fictional account of what it was like growing up in a small town.  Author then has to return to small town where they all hate him with the fire of a thousand suns.  Somewhat cheesy and cliche in its description of life in a small town (says the person who lives in a small town and grew up outside an even smaller town).  Recommended with reservations.

The Bare Bones Bible Handbook:  As someone who did not grow up in a church, I enjoyed this book to give general information about the different books of the bible.  It's like a Cliff's Notes version of the bible.  Recommended for those who have ADHD or for those who want to jump start their knowledge.

Twenties Girl:  A chick goes to a long lost aunt's funeral and ends up being haunted by her until she can locate a necklace.  Some of the dialogue is funny.  A decent throw-away type of beach read.





 
Curses!  A F***ed-Up Fairy Tale:  A twisty turny version of every fairy tale you've ever read or heard of.  It was an interesting take on fairy tales recommended by a friend.  Expect lots of cursing and u-turns as the author unwinds a murder story.  Pretty decent read.  I'll probably eventually read her other selections but I'm not in a hurry.



Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die:  Oh Willie.  I'd like to think that you had not already rolled something up and smoked it when you were writing this book but clearly, this is false.  I skimmed it while looking at his old photographs.  Not really recommended unless you're a big fan of Willie.  Or weed.  Or Willie on weed.
What am I currently reading?
 

No comments: