Friday, July 22, 2011

Columbus Museum of Art

This week's field trip was to the Columbus Museum of Art, the Scioto Mile, and a Columbus Clippers game.

First and foremost let me just say I was super impressed with the Cols Museum of Art. I went in with low expectations for how much the kids would get out of it. Given Luke's, ehem, lack of attention for anything less than hands on (I love him I love him I love him I love him--just keep saying it and breathe), I envisioned him running from room to room like the little wild child he is, ripping paintings off the walls and knocking over sculptures like he's bouncing down the final challenge on Wipeout. Admission for the months of July and August is free (as is parking...giddy up!) so even if I had to whip out the credit card for an art mishap or two, I could still come out ahead.

The museum had quite a few stations of interactive kid stuff to do. First off was the twist tie exhibit. The challenge was to make something creative with the big piles of twisties. (See also below and click on the pic to see some of the things created by other people on the shelves)



They spent quite a few minutes just twisting them around and not really making anything but they really enjoyed it.
This was my creation (psst! If you look closely, you can see that I twisted my ties into the names of the kids. You might have to stand back and squint your eyes a bit)



Art!


One of the next stops was big wads of modeling clay. For the record, Ella made a kitty to remind herself of her kitten that I gave away. She never misses an opportunity. (Click the link to remind yourself to feel guilty again and again and again)



More kitten making...






There was a big playroom where you could make mix-and-match wooden animals.


More mixed up animal parts.


Luke, to no one's surprise, found the display with pretend food and promptly stuffed the asparagus in his ears (*shakes head and smacks forehead*)

There were also numerous stations with questions posed like this one and post its of responses from the various people. Ella's response to this one? Ice cream.


I'll blog the rest in more posts. There was just too much for one.

No comments: