Thursday, January 01, 2009

You gots some 'splainin' to do, Lucy

No, I didn't get their "friends" this great antique chalkboard for Christmas. Aron's Granny found it in her house and thought the kids might like it.

I'm all for kids with an active imagination. Because the kids are so close in age, they have a great time pretending together. They come up with all kinds of crazy things to do. The one day, they unzipped their sleeping bags and spread them out on the floor. Then they got into their bathing suits and pretended that their sleeping bags were actually pools. They swam and dived and splashed and just had a great time. They even made me give them bottles of lotion so they could pretend to be putting on sunscreen (safety first, right?).

Sometimes, their pretend play is a little out there even for me. Ella loves to tell people about her good buddy, Batty. She and Batty do all kinds of fun things together. They're together mostly at night before she goes to sleep. She says they don't talk much because mostly he likes to just hang out. Sometimes he visits his family which is far away and sometimes he just likes to be with her. She'll tell you all about her dear buddy, Batty, but will neglect to tell you that he's her imaginary friend. Don't call him an imaginary friend, though, because she gets ticked off about that. I think Batty is a spinoff to Billy Gorilly 's character, Betty Bat but I'm not sure. Luke doesn't like to feel left out so he has invented an imaginary friend, too. His is called "Blue Giant." I think it might be a take on the Monsters Inc movie character, Sully, but he denies it. Luke and Blue Giant's activities are generally similar to Ella and Batty's adventures. I try to play along a little bit but drew the line at Christmas when I was expected to buy them their own Christmas gifts.

What do you get for an imaginary bat and giant? Yeah, I don't know either.

So if my kids start talking about their buddies the next time you see them, just nod your head and smile along.

***Beware, E and L are highly offended by the label "imaginary."

No comments: