Thursday, November 11, 2010

Crock it!

I read somewhere that it costs 2 cents an hour to use a crock pot. Not sure how much it costs to use an oven--I tried googling it but the answers seemed to vary quite a bit. In the spirit of (hopefully) saving money, I'll post a crock pot recipe for you.

I'm not a huge fan of meatloaf but Aron and the kids like it so I make it sometimes. Did you know you can cook it in a crock pot (aka slow cooker)? Here's what I used for mine:

Taco Meatloaf
2# ground sirloin
7 T taco seasoning (I buy mine in bulk at a place called Penzey's but this is prob close to 2 packets of seasoning you'd buy at the grocery store)
1 c oat bran
1 egg
1 onion
ketchup

The ingredients
The ingredients in a mixing bowl

Squirt in enough ketchup so that it is moist enough to mix and still stay together. Maybe 1 cup


Make a foil ring and shape your meatloaf on top of it in the crock pot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours. You should check it every once in a while to make sure the edges aren't getting too brown. This recipe tastes just like tacos so if you're a fan of them, start making it!

2 comments:

Tori :) said...

TOTALLY going to make this. You know I love meatloaf, tacos, AND a good crock pot recipe.

Annie said...

It's the Tori trifecta, baby.