Saturday, October 09, 2010

You went to a WHAT festival?

Ella had an early soccer game today so we decided to take advantage of this. After she was done (yes, they won), we packed up and drove a couple hours to Waynesville, Ohio for their Sauerkraut Festival.
.
That's right. Let me break it down for y'all.
.
It's a FESTIVAL of SAUERKRAUT. The German portion of me stands up loud and proud when you start talking about my blessed sauerkraut. We had no less than the following: sauerkraut balls, cabbage rolls, a "German Sundae,*" and sauerkraut pie. We passed on the sauerkraut bread and sauerkraut brownies. You could also buy the stuff in bulk from some of the vendors. One of the major sponsors was a Fremont Ohio based company called Snow Floss.
.
Let me just say that this was one of the best festivals I've ever been to and that's not just because I happen to enjoy sauerkraut. It's because everyone was soooo into it! You could tell that there was some serious time spent on keeping it true to the title, Sauerkraut Festival, as well as having a family-type atmosphere. All the crafts were handmade and were quality products. I visited my new buddy, Candle Cathy, of the wonderful Starwick Candles company who was one of the lucky vendors chosen for the event. She sells hand-poured 100% soybean wax candles for her Dayton, Ohio based company (Psst! Buy local! Go Cathy!).
.
I also happened upon another great vendor called Goat Milk Stuff. I bought some AWESOME bath fizzy powder from them. I bought some of the Cold Relief variety because it smelled like Vick's vapo-rub (you know, that stuff your Mom used to make you put when you were little and you had a cold). I've already used it and my skin is super soft. I'm seeing future purchases from their website.
.
My other purchase was a screen-print tee from a vendor. She was kind of snotty toward the kids so I don't think I'll be promoting her business but bought the shirt none-the-less. I'm passive-aggressive like that I guess.
So here you go...some pics of the fun...
Yup, we went to a sauerkraut festival. I can just feel the German portion of me swelling with pride.
"Get away from my food, Ella!"
"He's not sharing!"
Have a slice of sauerkraut pie? Don't mind if I do.
Thousands of people lined the streets of this tiny little town.
Why, yes, yes these are sauerkraut balls.
.
*A German Sundae is a pile of mashed potatoes topped with pulled pork and covered with sauerkraut. Yup, it was super tasty.

3 comments:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

For many years, my niece and I were vendors at the Sauerkraut Festival (I was a doll maker then) ~ a very lucrative event for us way back then! It looks just as crowded and the food looks great!! Sounds like a fun day for you and your little family!!

Tori :) said...

WHAT?!? no sauerkraut pizza? how can they call it a sauerkraut festival if there's no sauerkraut pizza?!?!?

Starwick Candles said...

Oh man! You had the sauerkraut balls?? Are they yummy or what? Thanks for the shout out! I hope you like your candles. :)