Monday, October 04, 2010

Bleedin love

Did you know that one blood donation can help save up to three lives?

Only 5% of eligible Americans give blood. Less than 30% of people who give blood once will ever give blood again. Every 2 seconds in America someone needs blood. Donated blood only lasts 42 days. There is a 97% chance that someone you know will need a blood transfusion.


I donate blood semi-regularly. I don't enjoy it. Never have. Never will. Had a bad experience donating blood? Yup, me too. Pass out after giving? Yup, me too. Hate needles? Low iron? Get an ugly bruise on your arm after donating? Yup, yup, yuppity yup. No time to go? Yup.

I'd love it if everyone who reads this post donates once. If you decide to donate, I'd love to hear about it.

You might help a hemophiliac. You might help a premature baby. You might help someone with cancer. Someone with sickle cell. Someone with anemia. Someone in a car accident. Do it because you never know who is going to need that donation. It may just be you.

What's holding you back? Vote now.

3 comments:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Something you didn't have on your list ~ Ima Chicken! Bless you for donating ~ another one of your admirable qualities!!

Anonymous said...

The last time I donated, I passed out. I'm not sure they would currently take my blood with some of the meds I'm on for migraines, but I suppose I could at least get it checked out. If I pass out, I'm calling YOU to pick me up!

Annie said...

Thanks Al--you're such a charmer : )

And Con, just chug a regular soda about 15 minutes before you go to your appt. One of the phlebotomists told me about doing it. It helps a lot.