Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Can I just lock her in a tower and call it a day?

Ella is getting to the age that she's being invited to more and more birthday parties (read into that "breaking Mommy's wallet" but whatever) and some just-for-fun parties (yay for no gift needed). She enjoys them a lot and I think it's great that she's getting more interactive with friends and establishing bonds with other children blah, blah, blah.

However.

She's also been getting quite a few invites for sleepovers and spending the night with friends. I gotta say that I'm just not ready for that. Don't get me wrong, I think it'll be oodles of fun when she gets a little older. I just think she's a little bit too young for it still. The parents of the children that invite her over seem nice. I know most of them superficially through school, sports, ballet, or whatever other activity she knows them through. The problem is just that--I only know these people superficially. I know them well enough to know that they don't scream at their kids on the softball field or that they dress their child nicely to go to ballet practice or that we can wave to one another from our cars as we drive out of the parking lot.

I appreciate the sentiment. I'm glad that they think enough of Ella to want their kid to hang around them more. She's a pretty awesome kid even if I do say so myself.

What do you all think? Is it time? If not, when is the right time? How well do you need to know someone before it's considered well enough.

Protecting this goofball...it's my job. That's what I get the big bucks for.
P.S. Don't worry, Dawn. I'll be sticking to my guns and saying no for quite a while.

3 comments:

Con said...

I am with you. I need to know the parents well enough to know if they secretly smoke weed in their basement. If I don't know them that well, my kid isn't staying with them.

Tori :) said...

i am probably the wrong person to ask, since i had my first overnight stay when i was about 4 and my friend was 3. that said, lest you think my parents weren't good parents... my friend's dad was our family accountant, so my parents had known the family for awhile. that, and it was an itty-bitty town in Oklahoma in the late 70s. It was a little safer back then, and besides that, everybody knew everybody's business. (They still do.)

if it were my own kid in the here and now, i'd probably feel as you do. i have the feeling i'm going to be a nazi-mom and steve is going to be the cool-dad. ugh.

Gram said...

I think a safe time for a sleepover with friends is when she gets married and has to stay with her husband! Just saying ;-)