Thursday, January 07, 2010

I know this much is true

I've been thinking about doing this post for a while now but couldn't decide if it was blog appropriate. I hope you'll indulge me a little cathartic blogging.

Recently, I think I've hit the point in my life that my friends are no longer dating, getting engaged, or getting married. It seems I've entered a new phase in life in my friends relationships: Divorce.

The D word. It's ugly. No one wants to be a part of it or admit to being a party to it but it happens. Each time one of our friends tells us it's happening to them, it feels like a part of your past is dying. Things aren't going to be the same as the happy times you remember. There will continue to be experiences with the people as singular components but it's not the same. You hate to see what it puts them through with anguish, depression, and the feelings of failure. No matter how you explain it to the children they won't understand.

I have no idea what has made my marriage work thus far.

That being said, I can honestly say I love Aron. He's awesome in so many ways I can't even begin to tell you. Do I feel that way every day? No. There are days he makes me want to pluck his eyebrows out one hair at a time. There are days he makes me want to make his favorite meal then pour so much salt in it that it would be inedible. There are days I want to grab his ears and yank outward. There are days...well, let's just say there are days.

I'm not sure what happens in other relationships. I don't think that there is one exact formula for everyone to follow to have a successful relationship. Who knows and who cares what makes it work but what's important is that it does work. Relationships are hard and they don't get any easier as you go through life. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying or insane or a little of both.

I know this much is true: I would rather be with Aron than anyone in the entire world. We've had good times and we've had bad times but we've had times.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more. Actually, our trip out west this summer was great for our marriage. It probably could have been death fro some relationships - 3000 miles in a car - connected at the hip for 10 days straight. It seems the longer we're together, the better it gets. I wish you and Aron many happy years.

Dawn Fraizer said...

Oh, by the way ... the last comment is by me....
Dawn

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Divorce is sad, Annie. If at all possible, try not to take sides ~ we never know what goes on inside someone else's life and it's good if you can maintain friendships with both parties. They'll love you for it!

Tori :) said...

UHM, dude. I just got engaged, remember? Like, a couple of weeks ago? granted, it's the second time around with this marriage thing for me, but i learned a LOT about what NOT to do the first time.

you feel about aron the way i feel about steve, so i'm thinking we're going to have a pretty good run. :)