Monday, January 25, 2010

Can you see me now? Good.


This may not be interesting to people but the purpose of this blog (for the most part) is to serve as a journal about our lives for the kids when they get older. I'm a dork, I know. This is more of an informative post for them in the future than entertainment for the blog faithful.


I have pretty bad astigmatism that causes really, really crappy vision. When I look at the Snellen eye chart at the doctors office, I can see the giant E at the top with my left eye but can't see it with my right. The doctor has to come and physically do a finger count for that eye (i.e. he stand in front of me at a certain number of feet away and asks me how many fingers he's holding up. For the record, he usually chooses 2 fingers but I'm not going to tell him that I'm on to him. He's my fave doctor EVER). It has gotten so bad at this point that I can't wear contacts anymore (booo!). I also have a weird condition (and I forget the name for it right now) that makes me see different colors when I'm in bright sunlight (think seeing green tones in one eye and red tones in another. I think it's cool but Aron gets mad when I say that so shhhhhhh! don't tell him). In addition to that, I also have what the eye doctor terms cataracts but they're not the typical age-related ones that you hear about. Instead of these being at the front of my eye, they're at the back and just appear as a cloudy portion of my eye. They don't bother my visual acuity at all--they're just kinda there.


Fun, huh? Well, the good news is that the good doc is able to correct my vision to 20/20 (yay!).


We decided early on that the kids would routinely be checked by the eye doctor to catch any eye conditions quickly. I took the kids the other day to my eye doctor (if any of you are in my local area and need an eye doctor just let me know and I'll hook you up with him). Turns out that Ella might (just might) be developing some astigmatism but it's nothing to be concerned about right now. He wants to see her back in a year. Luke has the same cloudy things in the back of his eyes but no astigmatism. He also wants to see Luke in a year.

No comments: