Thursday, December 31, 2009

Bribery ain't just for felons anymore


About a month ago, I took Ella and Luke to our local Health Dept to get their H1N1 shot.

I try be honest with the kids about what we're going to do even when it's not something that they really want to be a part of (like going to get shots) because I don't want them to ever feel like I'm deceiving them or tricking them in some way (I'm weird like that). So I told them what was going to happen and needless to say, they were less than happy about the situation.

So, I bribed them. (As a side note, I do NOT normally bribe the children.)

I'm not happy about it but I did. I told them that if they acted tough that I would take them someplace fun when we were done. Of course, when we got in there, the nurse told me that no actual shot would be required and they would just get the mist up their noses.

So, I wasted a perfectly good bribe.

What do you think about bribing your children to get them to do what you want? Dumb? A necessary evil? Vote now.

P.S. What was the bribe, you ask? A trip to Grammie's library to check out a couple videos.

5 comments:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

In my days of raising kids, it was 'behavior modification' !!! Doesn't that sound good??!!

Paula said...

That's not a bribe, it's a reward for being brave. I see no problem with that.

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Annie said...

If Alice and Paula says it's ok, I can't be too far off the mark! Phew!

Tori :) said...

off-topic, but i love that picture. so stinkin' cute!