Monday, October 13, 2008

Not. Ready. For. This. Period.


My Mom and Luke went to pick Ella up from pre-K the other day. My Mom's version of events goes a little something like this.
"So Luke and I went to pick Ella up. Some little boy came up to Luke within 10 seconds of our standing there and punched him in the face. He didn't cry or anything but just turned to look at me like he didn't understand what had just happened."
My poor baby! The boy that hit him was a little younger than him but probably is double his weight. I've seen him around story hour a couple times and he definitely has what I'll politely term "boundary issues" that his Mom doesn't do much about. I'll have to teach Luke the 2 F's of bullies: Be Fast and Be Funny. I can't tell him to hit back for 2 reasons: #1 It feels wrong to advocate violence #2 Luke's skinny--who's he going to hurt?? Please.
We were able to turn it into a lesson for Luke, though. I laid down with him that night at bedtime and we talked about how it feels when you get hit, how it's not nice, and not the right thing to do. Luke has been known to hit in the past when he doesn't get his way.

No comments: