Monday, June 02, 2008

My new BFF: Poison Control

Sometimes I forget that Ella was an easy to rear toddler. If you told her to not touch something and leave it alone, she said ok and went on her business. If she really persisted with getting something I didn't want her have, I just put it up and she would look at it wishfully and then move on to something else.
Luke is not that child.
He's more cunning. I can't really say he has malicious intent per se (at least not that I can prove), he's just definitely more persistent and tries to find ways around you, as an authority figure.
Last week, I had given him a dose of Tylenol because he wasn't feeling well. He said he wanted more medicine (let's face it--the stuff tastes like drinkable candy so why wouldn't the kid want to have more?). I said "no" and put the bottle on the counter in the bathroom. Later that evening, Luke was found in the bathroom. Somehow, he got the childproof cap off the bottle and was chugging the contents. That's right, that's right--HE WAS DRINKING THE TYLENOL! We freaked out and called Poison Control. Though a lot of educated guessing, we think he drank somewhere around 4-6 teaspoons of it. His normal dosage is 1 teaspoon. The good news is that, according to Poison Control, a child would have to drink somewhere around 1/2 bottle of the stuff for it to be a "concern." He only drank like 1/4 of the bottle.

No comments: