Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Little bit o' savory, little bit o' sweet

Sweet: Cricket chow
Savory: Corn Cricket Toss
No arachnophobia for this kid!

We went to the Bug Man's show at my Mom's library on Wednesday. He cooked up a little tasty treat for the kids. It was melted butter, cooked onions, sauteed corn, a little bit of half and half and some crickets (pictured above). He also made mealworm blueberry pancakes but I didn't get a picture of that. He brought along some cricket chow, too, which was crickets (duh) tossed in melted chocolate and powdered sugar (you know like that Puppy Chow that everyone makes around Christmas time).

No, I didn't get the kids to eat any of it. No, I didn't eat any of it.

The Bug Man showed the kids plenty of bugs like a praying mantis, black widow spiders, and big fuzzy spiders that were as big as the palm of his hand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i seriously almost barfed just now. i can still taste the bile in the back of my throat. i can't stand insects. dude, i feed mealworms to my FROGS. and you know what mealworms grow into? Tenebrio molitor A.K.A., tenebrio beetles, A.K.A darkling beetles, A.K.A. gross bugs that get into your flour. We have some in the lab at work. I have to feed them rotten potatoes every two weeks. imagine how much i love THAT.