Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mom and I don't see eye to eye...but do you?

I remembered the other day that I never remembered to blog about this and a friend requested that I put on a poll about it.

My Mom and I agree on some things, kinda agree on other things, and completely disagree on others (it's a perk of having a Mom, I guess). A while ago, I was telling her that I cannot stand participating in fundraisers at the kids' schools. I hate toting around candy bars to sell, magazines with wrapping paper and tins of gummy bears, and every other crappy thing I ever had to sell as a child (deep down you thank me for not making you buy stuff that you don't need so don't sit there looking so indignant at the screen). So, in the spirit of being taking a stand for what I believe, I refuse to sell a single thing.

That's right. I'M AN AWFUL PARENT WHO REFUSES TO SELL YOU CRAPPY STUFF IN THE NAME OF GIVING MY KIDS A BETTER SCHOOL LIFE.

However, I'm also the parent that when the teacher asks for donations for a class project, I donate a large chunk of money toward it (just don't tell Aron that I'm the one that donates that much...you know what I'm saying). I'll also tell her to let me know if they don't have enough stuff/money/supplies from the other families and I'll give more. I would rather donate money directly to the cause then buy or sell crappola that I'm never going to use/just throw away/sell at my garage sale next year/store in my closet/etc ** I'll even donate money directly to the PTO before I'll sell anything.

When I told my Mom about my blatant rejection of school fundraisers, she looked at me like I had grown another head and told her I wanted to move to Canada to mud wrestle bears in the circus (I hear they allow mud wrestling bears there). She was fine with the donating of money toward projects because quite frankly, that's totally something she would do.

What do you all think? Is it ok to not sell or buy things from school fundraisers? Vote in the upper right hand corner of the blog.


**With the exception of my friend, Connie, son's fundraiser last year which was awesome. They sold Yankee candles. Super smart of those PTO people.

2 comments:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Speaking as a grandma with a bunch of grandkids ~ we usually groan when we see those catalogs coming at us! Sometimes I get called from Seattle to buy for those guys out the!! Sometimes they pay for it and don't see the money ~ sometimes I pay for it and don't see the purchase! Donating is much more preferable to me!

Con said...

I'm with you Annie. Unless it's a fundraiser like the super cool Yankee Candles. Or, something that actually has the money going towards something for my kid. Like, the money from a certain candy bar sale goes towards a trip to the zoo. Some I'll do, some I won't.