Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Quilt Post #3

I'm moving along quite nicely on the new quilt. After that last post, I started cutting my 1.5 inch strips of material out of my fabric.

Here is one set of the strips of fabric. If you've got an eagle eye, you'll notice that I eliminated a fabric from the ones I originally selected. I didn't like that fabric with the others once it was cut. I'm not really sure why but it just didn't seem to go with the rest as well as I wanted.

After the fabric is cut, you'll need to pin them together with straight pins (enlarge if needed)

Close up of all layers pinned together and ready to sew.

Sew edges together. It's very important to pay attention to your seam edges and get them as straight as possible. This is not a good place to try to fudge your way through. If you make a mistake here, you need to go back and rip out the stitches to fix it. Nothing is more frustrating than getting toward the end of a project, looking at the same poorly sewed section of fabric and thinking that you should have just fixed it in the first place.
Sew each one of the pinned together edges together.
Next post: pressing the sewed strips
Oh yeah, I forgot that I was going to keep you updated as to the cost of the project. So far, I'll let you know that I spent $56 (including tax) on fabric and thread. For my $56, I got 8 yards of fabric and one spool of thread. I'm farther along in the project than what I've posted here so I've already blasted through one spool of thread. I grabbed another spool from my stash (probably worth a couple dollars) and have been using that one. I should probably factor out the yard of fabric I decided not to use but I'm not entirely sure how much it was. I think I'll call it $6 off for the ousted fabric but plus 2 for the additional thread so that makes my total so far $52.
*If you're new to the blog, you may like to look at these posts as references... #1 and #2

No comments: