Sunday, June 14, 2009

Strawberry Jam: A Sweet Tutorial

That's right, folks. Today we will be learning about strawberry jam by way a brief tutorial.
I had never made jam before but what is that to stop me? Armed with nothing but my handy dandy Every Day Food magazine recipe and sheer guts, I embarked on a culinary adventure.
*
Aron's Granny has a bunch of strawberries in her garden every year and is kind enough to give us some (ok, so she gives us a ton and I never know what to do with them). I happened to be reading along in my Every Day Food magazine when I came upon this recipe and decided to give it a whirl.
I doubled the batch so here are 2 quarts (aka 8 cups of cut up berries)

Here's the sugar. Don't be shy, Little Berries. It's just a teesy bit of extra sweetness. Annie still loves you the best!


Who wants a little lemon juice bath?



Let's give it a little stir (it's starting to heat up)
Hey! Where did all that juice come from?

Looks like a lotta liquid...I hope that supposed to happen...
Another quick little stir...

Uh, this is getting pretty steamy...s-s-s-seems like it's getting pretty hot...

Whoa, slow down there strawberries...let's not boil too hastily, shall we? Who invited all that foam to the party?



Whoa, whoa...let's not boil over the edge there, sweetie. Annie hates to wipe down her stove.

MAYDAY! MAYDAY! I NEED A BIGGER PAN! NEED A BIGGER PAN! CODE RED! CODE RED, I SAY!

Wait a sec...seems like it's starting to go down a little and the color of the juice in the pan is darkening...

Seems like it's thickening up a bit...


I may survive this whole jam experience...

Ah! Jam, sweet jam!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You brighten everyone's day with your writings. From the one who loves you most!

Anonymous said...

That looks yummy!