Tuesday, May 26, 2009

For some reason this really bothered me

Recently, someone small said something to me and I think it's important to share. This child was trying to get the hang of doing something. Something new to her. Something that was difficult. She turned to me with sweet little eyes and said "I'm very stupid, I can't get this." Now, we've all said things like this to ourselves in frustration but this child was dead serious and didn't blink an eye when she said it.

I asked her if she would ever say that to a friend; if it was a nice thing to say to a friend. The answer was no. I then asked her why in the world was it acceptable to say it to herself. Your Self is the first friend you ever made.

I hope it made an impression on her--it sure made an impression on me.

Say kind words to yourself as well as to others.

No comments: