Tuesday, February 06, 2007

This One's Not About My Kids but It's Still Entertaining...

My friend (who shall remain nameless so hopefully, she won't be too mad that I've shared her experience) and I were talking at work about pancakes. I gave her my recipe for banana pancakes (see also below).
Annie's Wonderful Multi-Grain Banana Pancakes
3/4 c flour
1/4 c wheat germ
1/4 c oats
2T cornmeal
2T brown sugar
1 1/2t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 c milk
1/4 c vanilla yogurt
1 T oil
1 egg
1/2 T vanilla extract or 1 t vanilla extract and 1/2 t maple extract
Bananas, brown sugar
Combine all ingredients. Pour into skillet. While the top is still wet, add thin slices of ripe bananas and sprinkle with brown sugar (however much you want). Flip and continue cooking until done.

She was planning on visiting her Mom over the weekend and wanted to make some for the two of them. Sounds simple enough, right? I e-mailed her today to see how it went. This was her response.

Subj:
RE: (no subject)
Date:
2/6/2007 10:51:04 AM Eastern Standard Time
From: My friend who shall remain nameless
To: Annie
Sent from the Internet (Details)
It was an ugly experience but the pancakes that I cooked were good. I took all of the ingredients that I thought that I needed but then I found out that mom did not have milk or eggs- had to go to Walmart. She has one skillet which is maybe 6" wide and it's very old (unbalanced, absolutely not non-stick). When you cook with it only half of the skillet sits on the stove so it cooks unevenly and being so small I had a hard time flipping the pancakes. Half of the pancake was burnt and half was gooey. She has only a really small flipper (like a cookie flipper). Then I dropped brown sugar on her stove and flames instantly shot up. I had turn off the burner and wait for another burner to heat up since I did not want to create another fire. I kind of finished 2 pancakes and felt like my head was going to pop off so I stopped. What I did eat tasted really good. I am going to try again at my house this weekend and I promise it will be a much better experience. Thanks for the recipe! See you tomorrow.

I have a very vivid mental picture as to what happened and it is very funny. Very funny indeed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy? Is this post about you?

Anonymous said...

That is what I was thinking!!

Anonymous said...

You'll not get me to tell. If Amy wants to tell you, that's one thing but you'll never get it out of me!

Whoops!