Monday, April 25, 2011

Top 10 Reasons Why I Love My Mom

10.) She calls my Dad "Dick." Not because his name is Dick, Rick, or even Richard. It's Dick just because she calls it the way she sees it and she usually sees things in a funny way. She calls him Dick so much that my long-time BFF's Mom thought that my Dad's real name was Dick (it's actually Mike for those who don't know him).

9.) She lets my overdue library fines slide. Yes, yes, I know I should always return them in a timely fashion but sometimes life gets in the way. Right now, I'm sitting beside a stack of books that I got out of her library before she went in the hospital that I haven't returned yet. Please forgive me, Library Ladies at PCML* (You know who you are).

8.) She tells everyone that she does my laundry, dishes, and cooking when she's at my house. In all actuality, this is mostly a lie but I don't see the harm in it. Ok, yeah, so she did a couple loads of laundry when Ella was a baby (7 years ago) and she puts together a meal in a crockpot when I get all the ingredients together for her. It makes her feel good to tell everyone she's such a Superstar Grammie.

7.) She calls me constantly to let me know what the weather will be like the next day (sometimes even multiple times a day depending on how Jym Ganahl switches his predictions). I haven't watched the weather in 34 years--true story. Remember a few weeks ago when it snowed randomly on a Wednesday? I only wore a light shirt to see her at the hospital because I had no idea the weather was going to be bad that day. I was a little miffed at her that day for not telling me to wear a coat.

6.) She has the ability to make me feel like Luke is normal despite his weirdness (need I even mention the poop-bot?) and that eventually I will be able to relate to Ella despite her girly qualities.

5.) I can call her anytime day or night and complain about whatever is pissing me off at the moment (with the converse being true, as well). She always unquestioningly takes my side about everything even if I'm doing a 180 from my previous day's opinion. She's my Yes Man.

4.) I just do

3.) Cause she's my Mom

2.) And I want her back

1.) Right now

Damn it.

12 comments:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

I love this post, Annie!! You've got a good handle on life and on your mom! I absolutely LOVE #10 ~ it shows your mom has a good handle on life, too! Because many times, "they" are ~ the nickname! I'm praying that you get her back soon!

Paula said...

You made me tear up reading this. Mother daughter relationships are so special and you have proven that what they say is true--you really do appreciate your mom when you grow up. Hang in there, Kiddo.

Con said...

I knew you loved her, Annie! You can't fool me! Seriously, can't imagine how hard it must be...like we talked about a couple of weeks ago, it's been awfully hard watching my Dad be sick...but much as I love him, he's my Dad, not my Mom. Prayers keep coming, for all of you!!

Anonymous said...

Crying!

Jeanne said...

I hope your mom gets better very soon so she can read this for herself (and cry!)

Heidi said...

great post! you can make laughter and tears all come at once... now that is talent! I hope she is better soon!

Anonymous said...

I miss and need her as bad as you do. I can see the determination in her eyes each day. Grammie will be back with vengeance to spoil the munchkins rotten, I promise you. I just hope that she doesn't find out for a while that I'm paying the bills "on line." Richard

Leslie said...

I love this post, Annie!!! I really hope your mom gets better soon. And I hope she knows just how much you love her (which I'm sure she does!).

Tori :) said...

You tell Kat I love her!!! This is a wonderful post. Big hugs. My mom is SOO going to crack up when she reads #10. (Best voice mail EVER-- although it was an answering machine back then -- "Tori. It's Mom. I got a weird thing in the mail today. Who the heck is Michael Jordan and why is he inviting me to his daughter's wedding?!?")

Annie said...

You all are very sweet. All of this definitely makes me appreciate my Mom a heck of a lot more. I would guess those who enjoyed the post the most thought of their own Moms as they read it. My Mom kicks ass--and so do all of yours ♥

Anonymous said...

I miss your Mom, too!

julie mccomas said...

anna- you have to be the greatest daughter ever....and great daughters often come from great moms. you are both so fortunate :)... and the Dick thing is hilarious. I am going to start calling my husband Dick in honor of your mom (among other reasons).