Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Half Marathon--Pep talk edition

Some of you think I'm a little crazy for doing the half marathon this year (I know you do...don't deny it...the voices in my head tell me you're talking about me...). Let me just say that it's not as hard as you think it is. Don't get me wrong, it's no stroll in the park but all you need is a good cardio base (think 30 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week) with longer training walks on the weekend. You shouldn't worry that you're too old/fat/not athletic/whatever other type of self-defeating talk you use on yourself. Believe me when I tell you that when you're on the course, you will see plenty of older/fatter/more non-athletic people out there than you. My friend, Paula, who also completed the course was telling me about a woman who walked with her during the race that has cancer, completed a chemo treatment the morning of the race, and has only one lung.

Don't be afraid to be a walker and not a runner. Walking provides great cardio benefits and are not as hard on your joints. There are plenty of walkers (there may even be more of us if you count those people who walk and run) and it's not all elite athletes doing 5 minute miles.

Get off your keisters and get moving, people!

(Oh, and vote in my poll)

No comments: