Monday, March 31, 2008

Annie shoots and scores? I think yes.

Something interesting around here has been March Madness. Every time this even rolls around, we all fill out our brackets in the hope that we will win the coveted trophy. The trophy (if my camera worked I would take a picture and post it) is a decent sized trophy (think 11 inches high by 6 inches wide by 6 inches deep) with a giant eagle on top . Every year the winner gets his or her name engraved on the side. We've been doing this tourney competition for 15 years now. It didn't always have the trophy but the competition itself has existed for this long. In all of those 15 years, two people have never won. I've never won. Now, some of you may remember the year that I won the office pool at work (the year was 2000 and I won $550) and say "But, Annie, you won the office pool and in doing so beat out hundreds of other competitors. How could you have not beaten your own family??" Well, my friends, I was deemed ineligible for that year's family competition. I dropped off my sheet to the facilitator of the scores (aka Jeff) after the games had begun and was DQ'd.

The other "non-winner" of the trophy (Jeff) has felt the trophy slip from his grasp many a year. This year has been especially hard on him. He's so close yet so far away. Below is the latest e-mail our family rec'd about the standings. It appears that I've all but put the final nail in his coffin. All I need is for North Carolina to not win one of their two remaining games.

What's the funniest thing about this, you ask? The fact that I watched one basketball game this year. Just one. Aron and I went to an OSU vs. Michigan BB game a couple months ago. Neither of those teams are in the tourney this year. Hi-larious, my friends. Hi-freakin-larious.



From:
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 9:52 AM
To:
Subject: Fwd: Fantasy Mayhem Report for Family Brackets
-----Original Message-----From: Jeff and Robin>To: Sent: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:20 pmSubject:

Fw: Fantasy Mayhem Report for Family Brackets

This is the latest standings as of the end of the games today.

Here's the cliff notes:

1. Mom and Dad have been added to the list of Robin and Luke of those mathematically eliminated.
2. The victory today of Kansas and Memphis was big for Annie to move into first since I had Texas and Georgetown in the final 4 with Texas in the national championship.
3. North Carolina has to win the championship for Jeff to win the trophy. He has picked North Carolina in both the national semi final (+5) and the championship (+6). Additionally, Memphis has to lose the next game since Annie picked them to win it all.
4. If Memphis wins their next game, Annie will win because the additional 10 points will put her beyond what I can score to win. She has selected North Carolina and Memphis for the national championship, which will generate 10 more points.
5. I think this is the latest the trophy has been decided in several years. Usually, we have everyone eliminated by today.

Go Tarheels. Memphis sucks!

JMJ
----- Original Message -----
From: To:
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:04 PM
Subject: Fantasy Mayhem Report for Jordan Family Brackets

Standings
1. Annie 187
2. Jeff 184
3. Ella 179
4. Aron 174
5. Kathy 170
6. Mike 162
7. Luke 109
8. Robin

Report Updated as of: 3/30/08 11:02 PM EST

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you won't win this year either. The auditor/accountant messed up. My name goes on the trophy. You might shoot and score, but I am king of the court. Poppy rules!

Anonymous said...

Go back to your kittenfluff room, Dad.