Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Ella-isms and Luke-isms

My friends and I were talking about this at work today. Our kids talk in their own language. They name different items different things--sometimes it's just different ways they learned how to pronounce things (think pa-sketti instead of spaghetti) and sometimes it is a completely different word. I don't remember the different things their kids say but here are some of the cute things/sayings that are heard around our house.

"Mommy, I have a 'bonky header.' Kiss it!" Translation: "Mother, I have struck my head on the table/ couch/whatever happened to be in my way at the time. Please make it better with a kiss."
"I wearing my 'big boys!' " Translation: "I'm proud that I'm wearing my Nemo/Diego/dinosaur/whatever other cool pair of underwear that happened to be in my drawer. My ego finds that pleasing."

"You stink! Poppy is a 'stinky header.' " Translation: "I claim that you stink because I think it is a term of endearment. Stinky is a positive thing to be. I love you and I use this term with great amounts of affection." This is a difficult one to explain to those not familiar with the children.

"I want 'Linny Bear!' " Translation: "My grandmother, Linda, lets me get away with murder. I would like it if she could return to our house so I may resume my reign of terror." This is typically used on Friday late afternoon/evening because Linda watches the kids while I'm working that day.

"I want 'Katiesitter' to come over." Translation: "Mother, I enjoy when our babysitter, Katie, comes over to play with us. Please, call her so you and father can go on a date. Do not return for many hours as we have much playing to do."

"You're a 'Stinko-de-Mayo.' " Translation: Uncle Jeffy came up with this funny saying. Its origin is Spanish and is a cousin to "stinky header" "Stinko-de-Myles" and "you stink." Typically, this saying is reserved only for Uncle Jeffy.

"Sharing is caring." Translation: "If you have something I want, I will proclaim that sharing is caring at which point you will be required to give me a portion of what you have no matter how much you cry/whine/throw a fit. Sharing means love--now give it up."

"I gotta 'peeps.' " Translation: No, it's not those cute little marshmallow things for Easter. It means they have to go potty.

"I hold Winkie like Daddy." Translation: I think we can all figure out what winkie is but it takes some talent to figure out that this actually means "I can go peeps standing up just like a big boy. I'm a big boy, too!"

"I need some 'girlie time' with Mom." Translation: Girls rule, boys drool. You stinky boys stay downstairs while Mommy and I go upstairs to paint our nails.

"Mommy, you're a 'good cooker.' Did you put extra 'love' in this?" Translation for good cooker: "Mother, you can rustle up some mighty tasty grub. I find it palate pleasing. Mmm, mmm, good." Translation for love: "I can taste that there is something a little extra in there. I will label it love. Little do I know that it's probably actually some sort of vegetable or extra type of nutrition that you have added to my food. I will call it love because that's what it feels like as I grow stronger."

"Vivatin." Translation: Vitamin

No comments: