Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Bean-tastic!








Ok, so we all know that camping is all about the food you eat while you sit around an open campfire, right?

So, Robin, Jeff, and Aron come up with the bright idea to take a can of beans and stick it in the fire to heat up like they did in the Civil War days (wait, was that in the Civil War? I don't remember. I'm sure Dad will post a comment and let me know). I think it might have been some sort of odd tribute to my Dad and the heinous/awful/hideous/hell-like/unbelievably bad family vacations he planned for us when we were little (if you haven't heard of them, let me know and I'll fill you in the horror that was the vacations of my youth. There was no Disneyland I'll tell you that much). Anyhoos, so despite the fact that we had a perfectly good pot to cook the beans in, off they went into the fire. Here's the bad part--no one realized we didn't have a can opener, thus, the above pictures of Robin with a large knife hacking away at the can. I'm sure there were shards of metal in the can (how could there not be? She was opening the can WITH A KNIFE FOR GOODNESS SAKE!) but they were eaten none-the-less. Well, they were eaten by Aron and Robin anyway.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AR, those educational trips moulded you into the person you are today. If you would have looked out the window instead of sleeping, you would have seen General Mickey Mouse and President Donald Duck fighting for liberty and freedom. No more thank you is necessary than knowing you will provide my Ellabella and Lukie the same opportunities that you were provided. Carry on Corporal Anna!!!! Poppy

Anonymous said...

Reference the need to properly open a can of beans. You certainly wasn't paying attention on the trip to Valley Forge. (key words: Washington, Revolution, Winter, hungary, food) You needed a military issue P-38 can opener that fits on your key chain. I carried one for years when you were younger. Will open a can of beans or worms, no cleaning in between necessary. Poppy

Anonymous said...

They were painful vacations, Dad. PAINFUL! Where was that P-38 so I could've poke my eardrums out so I wouldn't have to listen to another audiotape of the ins and outs of Valley Forge and the Revolutionary musket??

Anonymous said...

See, I win. You did learn something on the vacations, otherwise how did you there was such a thing as a Revolutionary musket??? The pain comes from your creative imagination two decades later. Poppy