Wednesday, January 24, 2007

This time I'm serious, she is the dancing queen

Ella has officially started dance classes. I have to admit that I've been a little less than thrilled at the idea of Ella doing dance classes. I know, I know, it's great exercise and she'll meet new friends, etc, etc. I'm a little worried about the other things that go along with dance class like the gallon of thick makeup they put on and those revealing outfits. I just don't want Ella to turn into a Jon Benet, ok? There, I said it. It's on record.

I also don't like the fact that I was at story hour this morning and I heard one of the other Mommys talking about how her daughter was doing tap dance class. I know, I shouldn't be eavesdropping but it was hard not to overhear. She was complaining about how fat her kid looks in her leotard and about how she needed to lose some weight. I checked her kid out when she came out of the story hour room and she is not fat-she just has a belly that pokes out like a lot of little kids have. THE KID'S THREE YEARS OLD-cut her some slack! This is how eating disorders start, people!

Despite my reservation(s), I have to say that she really enjoyed her first day. She's in a really small ballet class (just 3 other little girls). The instructor takes the girls back to the dance studio and they do their thing for 25 minutes. After that, the instructor comes back out to show us what they've learned for the last 5 minutes of class. I think I'll let her do it until at least May when they have a recital.

Aunt Tori says I have to wait at least that long so I will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I'm with you about the dancing body image thing. But, I think it's how the parent presents it to the kid that makes the most difference. So, I think Ella will be just fine!