Friday, September 28, 2012

Book club update

Sooooo...since we talked last time I've been reading a bit.  I read this book:
 
I found it to be an interesting premise but thought it lacked depth in the character development.  Cliff's Notes version goes a little something like this: There were tons of vampires in America during the 1800's that killed bunches of people.  Abraham Lincoln was like a post-Colonial times Buffy the Vampire Slayer cause one of those blood-suckers killed his mama. He abolished slavery because they were using slaves for bad reasons (as opposed to raping, beating, and working them to death).  I would say I minimally liked it.

Then I read this one:
There was a poor, black lady in the 50's that had cervical cancer with some butt-kicking cells that revolutionized modern medicine.   It was pretty good.  I'm going to a lecture at OSU on Tuesday to listen to one of her children speak.

I'm currently reading this:
I nearly cried I was laughing so hard at this book in the beginning.  I think most people would like it because it a.) affirms that you are NOT the most neurotic person in the world and b.) affirms that you are NOT the most neurotic person in the world.  If you find the F word offensive or hate people with mental illness like GAD, OCD, MDD, etc, this is not the book for you.

No comments: