Wednesday, November 07, 2007

What are they thinking?!

Me loves popcorn with my sibling...
What's going on in that little head of his??

Do you ever wonder what your kids will remember from their younger years? What will be their earliest memory? What will stand out in their mind as being worth remembering?

The year was 1979. I have a cousin, Josh, who is 8 months older than I am (he was born in December and I was born in July). I remember when I was 3, that Josh was strutting around and thinking he was soooooooooo cool because he was 4 and I was still only 3. I remember specifically standing in the house that my parents were building. We were playing around in one of the rooms that didn't have drywall up yet because I remember seeing the pink insulation. He teased me mercilessly about still being 3 and I remember thinking "Some day I'll be 4 and he'll see how great that is." Little did I realize that when I became 4, he would soon be 5. Rats!

Will Ella and Luke remember that they liked to sit in the chair in our living room under a blankie, eating popcorn, and watching movies? Will they remember that they love going to story hour with Miss Lori and that she is some sort of story-reading Goddess who sings and laughs and makes crafts with them? Will Ella remember that she loves watching Dancing With the Stars because when it comes on she dances around the house with her Dad? Will Luke remember that he hates going in the car wash and freaks out every time we go? Will it be a memory of going to my grandparents house after church and practically busting down the door so they can get to the Hershey's kisses that my grandma has put on her table just for them? Will Ella remember that she takes flowers and puts them all over the house or will she just know that she enjoys making things beautiful but won't know where or when it all started?
Or, will their first memory be something that we haven't done yet? Some adventure that is out there for us to wander into?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me cry. You actually made me cry. Bitch.

The Kidwells said...

That was awesome Annie! I had tears too!

Anonymous said...

There's no crying! Have you people turned into my mother??

Anonymous said...

I think you are waxing nostalgic in your old age!! There is nothing wrong with us! It's YOU!

Anonymous said...

Every week when I check your blog, there is a special memory that you have created for your family. You guys are doing a great job raising your kids and it's going to be tough for them to pick just one thing that stands out when they are grown up and looking back at their childhoods. The thing they will remember is how much their parents love them!

Anonymous said...

i hate you. we don't cry, annie, and we don't make each other cry. this is like the time you tried to hug me before i walked down the aisle -- we don't hug and we don't cry!!! xoxo, your favorite former roommate